Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Titanese Times

Now that I am hoping to regularly update this blog, I have changed the title and the layout to look a bit more professional. Obviously the title is meant to convey a newspaper-style format, though being participant in some of the news will make it a bit difficult to publish scoops or information not posted elsewhere but perhaps I can add my own perspective to the satellite news of the day.

On the use of Titanese: it has been rather difficult to come up with a suitable adjectival form for Titan. Titanian would be the obvious first choice, but that could become easily confused with the adjectival form for the Uranian moon Titania. Titanic has become a favored form for some ISS team members, but it is unsuitable for me since it just brings to mind a very BAD movie. Titanese is also a possibility, though the -ese suffix is usually limited to nationalities from east Asia (Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, etc.). However, given the unsuitability of the first two, I am forced to concede to Titanese. If anyone has any other suggestions, don't hesitate to send me an email.

As stated in the intro, I will strive to continue to post on this blog for news primarily for Titan and Io, though I can't ignore the other satellites, except Europa, that moon will get no press here. Why? Because I feel like it. This blog will also not cover Mars, because it is not an outer planetary satellite and it gets enough press elsewhere. I will also post on the other Saturnian satellites as new results come in and are published. I may occasionally sway to other topics, like politics, but given the current political climate, I may try to avoid that. We'll see.

In terms of contributions, I will obviously look at them and post them as I see fit. Since this blog has a fairly small audience, I don't think an additional author is needed, but if you want to offer your services, I'll look into a dual author or team authorship arrangement, however I'd rather not have a site run by committee.

I'm going to sign off for now though later today, I hope to publish my thoughts on the recent Huygens images. Titan certainly looks like a very interesting place that continues to astound, amaze, and confuse.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason Perry said...

Test Comment

1/25/2005 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger yuriwho said...

The Titan Times
Titan Today
The Tides of Titan
The Winds of Titan
Whispers from Titan
The View from Titan

p.s. I don;t like Titanese, but could live with it

1/25/2005 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Perry said...

I'm not happy with Titanese either but it's better than Titanian and there is no way I'm using Titanic. But those are good alternatives and I may look at some derivation of those. It's possible that I may wait until we have more than one feature name before picking a permanent title. Think something like "The Hotei Chronicle"

1/26/2005 12:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Titan Times or Titan Today. Most newspapers use the noun form of their location, not an ajective. i.e. New York Times, U.S.A. Today, Tampa Tribune, etc.

1/26/2005 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home