Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Planetary Society on latest Mimas, Enceladus, and Rhea views

The Planetary Society has an article up on there website by Emily Lakdawalla on the latest views of Rhea, Mimas, and Enceladus taken a few weeks ago after the Huygens landing. Some great points are made, like the youthful surface of Enceladus, the non-spherical shape of Mimas (which has hampered my efforts to create a map of that world), and polygonal craters of Rhea. However, what I like best is the explanation of how images are released to the public from Cassini.

I am a bit surprised she didn't highlight the view of Mimas with Hershel on the terminator which, IMHO, is the best ISS view of these moons during rev C. Also interesting to note is the lack of the Rhea mosaic. I guess after the Iapetus incident where the Planetary Society posted processed Iapetus images before SSI and NASA had a chance to, I'm not surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home