Saturday, September 17, 2005

The End Part II

Okay this really is the last post. I just want to nip in the bud, right here, right now, shutting down this site was my idea. No one, and I mean no one, asked me to shut it down. I received some comments regarding some top level manager's opinion on my recent posts on the T7 issues (which I should point were temporary and have been fixed). It was a mistake for me to even discuss them here, even in the vague manner I tried to convey, and their disapproval was brought to my attention. This issue scared me. It was fun when this site was just a small group of people who wanted to hear the latest from Cassini. But if I need to be concerned about what I write, then it becomes less fun. I love what I do, I can't imagine myself doing any better at this point in my life, and I will not jeopardize it for a blog. I'm sorry, but I won't. And rather than look over my shoulder and wonder if what I just sent is kosher with everyone who are higher up than me, I'd rather just end this page. I apologize to all those who have come to rely on this page. I really do. Don't stop caring about the Cassini mission just because I'm not here to blog about it.

Now, that's not to say I am completely going away. Last night, I decided rather than give up here and do nothing with volcanopele.blogspot.com, I will just change the format. I have had this novel, essentially in my head for 5 years now, waiting for me to actually commit it to paper. I've decided to write it here on this blog. I'm not sure how this will work but I think it will be an interesting experiment. Based on similar projects on Blogger, I will post a segment of the novel every few days, once a week or so, on a post. It could be a chapter, it could be more, it could be less. I personally like that concept. So I am going to give it a try. So on September 24, this blog will be replaced by "Afterword". I hope some of you come back for that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jason,

If you have been reading the rescent NASA directives, requiring that ALL public information requests be channeled through PR, Shuttle down of this blog was career-essential.

It is ironic that while on the one hand Griffin is promising NASA is and will continue to be open about all engineering issues and science data, the careful channeling of this information will reduce the value NASA as a scientific institution - The time delay alone in sharing new and wonderful information is an unnecessary censorship.

On average, I've learn more from each Jason post than 10 hours of NASA television...

9/19/2005 08:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good work on this blog Jason, it was great to read about the Cassini mission everyday, and you did a very good job.

Jean-Louis

9/20/2005 09:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll miss Titan Today :(((

fans from Serbia

9/23/2005 02:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason:

Sorry to see you have to do this. I'd have posted something in protest on NASA Watch - but I suspect that would have just made things more difficult for you.

10/17/2005 07:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

10/30/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site
http://www.healthcare.net.in/

10/30/2006 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home